Tuesday, February 23, 2016

TIP OF THE SPEAR


The tip of the spear is a phrase that has been used in so many applications from military to missions. Regardless of the application, it is a reference to the first ones to penetrate a new area. This might be an offensive push into enemy territory taking new objectives in the name of your country, or someone like Nate Saint who was killed taking the Gospel of Jesus Christ to the Huaorani tribe in eastern Ecuador.

As believers, we are all called to spread the gospel of Jesus Christ. But can we all be those first ones in? Can we all be the ones to see the people coming to Jesus, turning from old lives to a new freedom and life found only in Jesus Christ?  Romans 12:4 reads "Now as we have many parts in one body, and all the parts do not have the same function, in the same way, we who are many are one body in Christ and individually members of one another."

We are individuals uniquely gifted by God to do the task set before us. We cannot all be the tip of the spear because if we were there would be nothing to drive that spear toward it's intended target. A tip of a spear is just a point. and while that point is very important to penetrate the target, without the weight of the spear behind it, or the power of the one delivering it, a point is nothing more than a nuisance.

We all have a divine purpose in our lives. God has ordained tasks for us to do before the foundation of the world. Not all of these tasks are going to be the out front, everyone see type of tasks. But this does not make any of them any less important. The tip of the spear is what pierces, but that is not the whole thing. Just like the tip without the spear is a nuisance, a spear without a tip is a stick. While the stick may have many uses it is not a spear.

The Lord has shown me over the past year that it is not my job right now to be the tip of the spear. I am somewhere farther back. I have longed to be out front as we have many unreached hearing the gospel for the first time, but that is not what the Lord wants of me right now. There have been times when I was out there, but this is not it. If I try and press myself into that position it is going to be at the expense of what God has for me to do right now and I would be doing things that I want to do and not what the Lord wants me to. I guess that would be the definition of sin and rebellion against God.

So I am content being in the background because I know the Lord is guiding my steps. I will be faithful every day to the work that the Lord has for me to do and rejoice with others as many are coming to Christ.

So if you are also not the tip, rejoice that the Lord has given you a place to be involved in His work, we all have a place. Watch Him work and be amazed.


No comments:

Post a Comment